Learning from Experience #1

#1  English Spelling/Orthography

My working area has a lot of SJKC students from English native speaker. However, the kids are fluent in speaking. They can be really bad at spelling , even though they've learnt phonetic in their kindergarten time.

Through speaking and using it, they understand the meaning of the word. Being able to pronounce the word doesn't mean they are able to make connection to the spelling of the word until they've explicitly  practised it.

I am just feeling curios, because I don't have spelling problem back then when I am at their age.




#2 Tackling stubborn defiant young learner
Normally International school students tend to shun away from Mandarin, demonstrate low confident level. My this student is unwilling to try to answer too. And he is stubborn and not listening to teacher , for instance when I asked her to write, she would only do it 5 mins later, which really drive me mad.

I think he is testing my limit, and know that I wouldn't beat with or scold him, That's his strength. However, there must be a reason behind it.

I am thinking whether it is
1. He is not interested to my way of teaching? Chalk and talk , too much of writing, not showing interest to learn.

2. He is willing to share when I talk to them, but when I instructed him to write, he would show his refusal by looking around, and even purposely drop the pencil, making noise , dramatically looking for missing pencil, eraser.

3. Another of her behaviour that really piss me off, is that she would refuse to answer. When she finally answered, then she will repeat the answer for 3 times in an impatient manner. Definitely , this is not the way one would talk to teacher. Hmmmm

I am thinking is it because her international school environment allow her to practice everyone is equal to the extent that she thought teacher is not a figure to speak like a friend.


I am still looking way to tackle it, so far my solution would be

1. To set a rule upfront  (then stick to be, be firm, show students that there are certain rules are intolerable)
- Must respect teacher - but how? 

Tell them there is something that is intolerable in my class.
- Know your turn to talk
-Name calling
-Refusing to do chores
-Physical aggression such as shouting, making noise

At the same time, allow students to question about the rules, (not when they ask comparing question like why my friends can do so and so, but why can't I) I am still thinking the reason students react in that way. 


2. Consistency is key if you don’t want to reinforce bad habits.

3. But one thing that I've learnt is that I have to first set up the firm attitude before I change them. I am also a believer that students would feel your calmness, and thereby react in the same calm manner when the teacher is calm, free and easy.


Conversely, when teacher react aggresively, students would feel less secure as well.

4. -Know your turn to talk , not when others are talking.


Here's something which I found quite useful to talk to the children.

Plan how you are going to intervene differently: We bark orders like: “Put your clean clothes away immediately—and I mean right now!” but then we neglect to follow through on the limits or consequences we’ve set. Instead, try saying calmly and with authority, “Your responsibility tonight is to put your clean laundry away in your dresser and your closet. Please get this done before you sit down to text your friends tonight.” And then turn around and leave the room.   This gives you the power because you’re calm and in control.


(Taken from Quick and Dirty Tips)



5. : Speak Positively about Your Kids in Their Presence (taken from Quick and Dirty tips)

Often after a negative incident has taken place, we as parents want to discuss it with our spouse when he/she returns from work. If your child is in the vicinity, however, don’t get into such a conversation until you’re certain your child can’t overhear you. Discussing negative behaviors while they are within listening reach can reinforce the bad behavior as well as damage your child’s self esteem. 
Once you’ve discussed a negative incident with your child, let it go and save further discussions about the incident privately. At this point, if you don’t have anything positive to share, then say nothing at all.  


Comments

Popular Posts